Take 997TT slot now? - or wait for X50 and Aerokit?? Debate?
Take 997TT slot now? - or wait for X50 and Aerokit?? Debate?
Author
Discussion

dealmaker

Original Poster:

2,215 posts

284 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
Guys,

I have a slot for build in September and I have specced my car - however I have also orderd one of the first "08" model year cars which will have the option of the Powerkit (X50 - 520-530 BHP) and Aerokit.

So should I:

1) Simply put my current order on hold and make do with my (5 month old) 997C4S until the 08 MY arrives and then spec. my "perfect" car for delivery Sept 07.

2) Take the interim "compromise" standard 997TT car, spec it as best I can - run it for a year THEN get my "perfect" TT?


Whilst I'd like to run the TT for the next year I don't necessarily want to take TWO hit's on resale (one on the C4S and one on the First TT) - and to be honest, the 997C4S is a bloody good car I'm enjoying caning to within an inch of it's life!

delbox

260 posts

258 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
I'm so pleased with my non-aerokitted 997 C4S that I'd stick with that rather than have a TT. But, in your 'predicament', I'd hold onto the C4S and take your perfect car in 07 - if you really need the aerokit and X50!

dealmaker

Original Poster:

2,215 posts

284 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
delbox said:
I'm so pleased with my non-aerokitted 997 C4S that I'd stick with that rather than have a TT. But, in your 'predicament', I'd hold onto the C4S and take your perfect car in 07 - if you really need the aerokit and X50!


Thanks. It's not just the X50 and Aerokit - on an 08 the Powerkit is also supposed to include the Sports exhaust - plus I will probably order a "special colour" - the 08 will represent the WHOLE package in my opinion.

s3am

1,383 posts

282 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
I would wait too, then get your ideal spec TT.

dragstar

3,924 posts

280 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
I wouldn't want to dilute the experience.

Do it once...do it right!

dazren

22,612 posts

291 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
I'd wait until you can get the car exactly how you want it.

DAZ

sidicks

25,218 posts

251 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
dazren said:
I'd wait until you can get the car exactly how you want it.

DAZ

I'd agree, particularly as the standard exhaust system on the turbo doesn't sound that good - waiting for the new PSE is probably a wise choice!

sidicks

rich1231

17,340 posts

290 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
dealmaker said:
Guys,

I have a slot for build in September and I have specced my car - however I have also orderd one of the first "08" model year cars which will have the option of the Powerkit (X50 - 520-530 BHP) and Aerokit.

So should I:

1) Simply put my current order on hold and make do with my (5 month old) 997C4S until the 08 MY arrives and then spec. my "perfect" car for delivery Sept 07.

2) Take the interim "compromise" standard 997TT car, spec it as best I can - run it for a year THEN get my "perfect" TT?


Whilst I'd like to run the TT for the next year I don't necessarily want to take TWO hit's on resale (one on the C4S and one on the First TT) - and to be honest, the 997C4S is a bloody good car I'm enjoying caning to within an inch of it's life!



DM,

Im waiting for the same reasons. I cant decide for you or pry in your circumstances but if I were you wait.

rich

dealmaker

Original Poster:

2,215 posts

284 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
Thanks for the advice and feedback guys!

I guess the bigger question is can I RESIST having a Turbo for the next 13 months ??......or should I have my cake and eat it by having the compromise car for the next year or so and then having the "ultimate" car to look forward to next year?

I guess a lot will depend on how much I'm going to lose on my 5/6 month old C4S at trade-in time (am I trading in too soon?) and in turn how much I will lose on the 997TT between October and next September?

If buying the early 997TT turns into a compromise both financially and in terms of the driving experience I MAY be better waiting! (but the devil on my shoulder just says "Do It"!! )

Jonny5

3,526 posts

304 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
dealmaker said:

If buying the early 997TT turns into a compromise both financially and in terms of the driving experience I MAY be better waiting! (but the devil on my shoulder just says "Do It"!! )


The devil on your shoulder should be saying ... Buy another Lamborghini

dealmaker

Original Poster:

2,215 posts

284 months

Sunday 9th July 2006
quotequote all
Jonny5 said:
dealmaker said:

If buying the early 997TT turns into a compromise both financially and in terms of the driving experience I MAY be better waiting! (but the devil on my shoulder just says "Do It"!! )


The devil on your shoulder should be saying ... Buy another Lamborghini





I would Jonny! a Gallardo SE would be a neat partner to the Murcie!!.........but I need those extra two seats for the rug rats!

Darren49

37 posts

246 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
You'll do about 10-15k on the TT in the next 15 months, so if you can handle that one its not even a question.....take both!

dealmaker

Original Poster:

2,215 posts

284 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Darren49 said:
You'll do about 10-15k on the TT in the next 15 months, so if you can handle that one its not even a question.....take both!



Yeah - it's just if I do £12k on the C4S (likely) now and another £15k between now and my 08 MY 997TT arriving it makes you wonder if it's worth hanging on to the C4S and "averaging out" the loss/depreciation.

If I thought 997TT values were going to be strong until the back of 07 it would be a no brainer!

triple7

4,015 posts

267 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
3 hits on 3 cars in just over 1 year, no brainer. If you do, I'll bet you get a Christmas card from your OPC this year!!!!

G

Darren49

37 posts

246 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
Obviously I don't know your finances, but the TT is so much better than the 4S, so I'd try to say screw it and make the switch now.

s3am

1,383 posts

282 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
If they can retrofit the X50 upgrade, could you get the colours you want now and then upgrade when it becomes available? Same with the aerokit, you might not lose *so* much and have the TT sooner too.

ken993

412 posts

261 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
I'm expecting my 997 turbo next March, I would be tempted to hang on fot the X50 pack, when is the 08 model year out ?

dealmaker

Original Poster:

2,215 posts

284 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
s3am said:
If they can retrofit the X50 upgrade, could you get the colours you want now and then upgrade when it becomes available? Same with the aerokit, you might not lose *so* much and have the TT sooner too.


My original thoughts also - but according to reports on Rennlist the X50 pack IS NOT going to be retro-fittable!!! I've heard rumours of 530bhp so it's not to be dismissed!!

dazren

22,612 posts

291 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
ken993 said:
I'm expecting my 997 turbo next March, I would be tempted to hang on fot the X50 pack, when is the 08 model year out ?

I think model year changes start coming through in sept/oct. So I would expect to see 08 M/Y cars being delivered to customers from sept 07 onwards.

DAZ

wrn

432 posts

259 months

Monday 10th July 2006
quotequote all
IMHO the C4S will take further hits now that it is no longer top of the 997 range (displaced by the TT). City boys just want 'top-of-the-range'. I don't think that you will take £15k on a low mileage TT in the first year if you are getting one of the first - ie. prices will still be very strong in 12 months time.

I had of the first 997 C2Ss, bought for £70k and sold for £67k after 6 months. I took a £6k hit on a C2S cab over six months. The TT is more desireable with longer waiting lists (though more expensive) - and the prices on 996 TTs held up VERY well for the first couple of years.

I reckon that you could find a 997 TT cheap motoring over the next year or so - particularly if you can avoid dealer margin by flogging it to a mate and you order a sensible/saleable spec.

BUT it's a lot of money so buy with your heart not your pocket and expect to lose loads (but don't think about it) - and you can then only be pleased when it comes to resale time. If you spend all the time thinking about the economics of these cars then you shouldn't buy them... the economics simply don't stack up whichever way you look at it!

Will