:censored: it - I'm going to keep it!
:censored: it - I'm going to keep it!
Author
Discussion

bergs2

Original Poster:

2,839 posts

278 months

Thursday 8th June 2006
quotequote all
Mixed blessings to my quest for 964 sale.

the buyer has pulled out after the PPI showed up a multitude of sins - from the relatively serious - corroded brake lines, perished driveshaft gaitor

to the reasonably trivial - crack in front number plate, stonechip in windscreen.

Ther car was up for 12,995 at eporsch - which would have returned me about 10.5 (some work had to be done, a service etc.)

I had a mental barrier at 10k where if I was going to get any less I'd hold on to it - fortunately that appears to be the case!

so..... I need to get the needed work done ( am awaiting a call from GT-one in Chertsey to let me know the potential damage there ) and then I may try to get the air con sorted and enjoy the car for the summer

having not been in the car for three months I must admit to being pretty excited about getting it back.

verysideways

10,271 posts

302 months

Thursday 8th June 2006
quotequote all

c2look

3,858 posts

255 months

Thursday 8th June 2006
quotequote all


you'll get that smile back on yer chops and won't want to let go again. Get a kidney on ebay to pay for the kitchen

bergs2

Original Poster:

2,839 posts

278 months

Thursday 8th June 2006
quotequote all
c2look said:
Get a kidney on ebay to pay for the kitchen




thanks man - though at the rate costs are escalating there at the moment, it'll have to be the pair

henry-f

4,791 posts

275 months

Thursday 8th June 2006
quotequote all
I`m interested in your thought pattern. We suggested £10k "with a possible spread either way" (we hadn`t seen the car) in January, and you let a dealer borrow it to try and return £10,500. It`s now June.

Why ?

The only benefit of doing sale or return is that it saves the dealer the cost of stocking the car. I don`t know but I would have thought a stocking loan would probably come in at 7%, say 10% worst ways. £10k over 2 months - between £116 and £166.

There is no magic cure, a car is worth what it`s worth and a company needs to make a profit to stay in business otherwise at some stage they`ll go bust taking innocent people out with them.

The only exception is when a car is really rare and / or hard to value. There are some cars that could be £19,995 - £29,995 or £39,995 and obviously buying into stock you fear the worst but ask the best. A left hand drive 964 must be one of the easiest cars in the world to value. Alternatively a (say) £150k car will cost a significant amount to stock.

Not a dig at anyone but I will say borrowing people`s cars to try and sell them is a particular bug-bear of mine and I think a well established company should buy all their own cars and honour them once sold as retail sales rather than lay off their bets with a third party, (ie supply a third party warranty and use their claim procedures as judge on what does and doesn`t get mended). It certainly focusses one`s mind on what makes it to the forecourt and what is rejected.

Henry

sprint355

1,332 posts

257 months

Friday 9th June 2006
quotequote all


Enjoy it for the summer, then try again.

Sprint355

bergs2

Original Poster:

2,839 posts

278 months

Friday 9th June 2006
quotequote all
henry-f said:
I`m interested in your thought pattern. We suggested £10k "with a possible spread either way" (we hadn`t seen the car) in January, and you let a dealer borrow it to try and return £10,500. It`s now June.


henry-f website said:
You get bored and want the car back, it hasn't sold and you might have someone interested in it yourself or you simply want the car back to use. John breaks some bad news to you. He has incurred costs on your behalf trying to sell the car and you need to settle them before you can have the car back. Around £1,500 seems a favourite figure.




in all seriousness - way back in january either the car was going to cost me insurance and garaging (i have to rent ) for a few months where i was not going to use it - or i could try to get it shifted - mindful of the impending home improvement expense that i was about to face - i fancied the latter, and the car could pay for our new kitchen.

as it is, I'm getting the car back once GT-One have fettled it, will enjoy it for the Summer and probably flog it on ebay for nine grand in September....ho hum...

and someone will get a bargain!



keep smiling


BERGS

henry-f

4,791 posts

275 months

Friday 9th June 2006
quotequote all
Good luck on ebay, I`d have given the dealer a shout who bid £10k rather than taking £9k off some Nigerian Government minister over the internet.

Henry

BERGS2

Original Poster:

2,839 posts

278 months

Friday 9th June 2006
quotequote all
henry-f said:
Good luck on ebay, I`d have given the dealer a shout who bid £10k rather than taking £9k off some Nigerian Government minister over the internet.

Henry


- cheers henry -

I know you've been buying and selling porsches for many years (in fact, since I first bought 911 & PW as a school boy ) so I'll bow to your experience

- i'm sure you have heard the line - 'well I dont really want to sell it....' thousands of times. but my simple rationale was that if i wasn't going to get ten grand back out of the car I'd hang on to it......


now, where do i find the cash to sort those oil leaks??