Not sure which route to take ??
Not sure which route to take ??
Author
Discussion

Mabbx

Original Poster:

204 posts

239 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
Hi all,

I have managed to free-up some money (£15K max) and I am not 100% sure which route to take. My options are 996 (test driven a Carrera 4 but open to other varients) or a Cayman. This will be a weekend car for us so will not do many miles. The Cayman has come into play as I will get a newer vehicle, but the 996 will be a bit more of an experience and possible hold its money better ? My third option is to wait until next summer where funds will be a bit better,(around £25k), which then I will look at either a 997 (test driven already) or a 996 Turbo ?? Ideally I would like a convertible in both scenarios but not essential. If I get a car this year, I will keep it for a few years, or shall I wait ?? Any experiences in this scenario ?? I have owned a 2001 model Boxster S in 2004/5 which was great fun, so not my first dip into a Porsche !!

Thanks smile

pilchardthecat

7,483 posts

209 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
Ah the endless and very familiar story of "i can afford a Porsche but i can nearly afford the next best one so should i wait"

I started playing this game 4 years ago. My budget has nearly trebled and i still cant fking decide. And now i have to have a yellow one as well, so i'm totally fked.

Good luck. I don't think i will ever buy one! Far too much choice!

Porkupine

1,722 posts

195 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
If I was you....
Buy the 996 NA now. For a year's depreciation free (or thereabouts) motoring.
Then in a year, sell it and get yourself a 996 turbo.


slodge

513 posts

192 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
OK. If I was in your position, in my own humble opinion I would buy a nice 996 C2 right now. For the following reasons:

1. When it come to Porsche I think 911 so would want that whole 50 years' history, rear engined experience etc etc - esp. if it's a weekend car. (The 996 C2 was the first serious car I bought with my own money so will confess to having a soft spot for it...) Personally prefer n/a to turbo - ran a Turbo S for 6 months - didn't gel with it.
2. Currently the pick of the crop from a value perspective. Hell of a lot of car for the money. Just make sure you put some dosh aside for maintenance.
3. Why wait - you'll waste so much time looking at the classifieds over the next 12 months that you could be out there driving and enjoying the thrill of 911 heaven!!

Go for it!

Cheers

Slodge

Mabbx

Original Poster:

204 posts

239 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
pilchardthecat said:
Ah the endless and very familiar story of "i can afford a Porsche but i can nearly afford the next best one so should i wait"

I started playing this game 4 years ago. My budget has nearly trebled and i still cant fking decide. And now i have to have a yellow one as well, so i'm totally fked.

Good luck. I don't think i will ever buy one! Far too much choice!
laugh

Mabbx

Original Poster:

204 posts

239 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
slodge said:
OK. If I was in your position, in my own humble opinion I would buy a nice 996 C2 right now. For the following reasons:

1. When it come to Porsche I think 911 so would want that whole 50 years' history, rear engined experience etc etc - esp. if it's a weekend car. (The 996 C2 was the first serious car I bought with my own money so will confess to having a soft spot for it...) Personally prefer n/a to turbo - ran a Turbo S for 6 months - didn't gel with it.
2. Currently the pick of the crop from a value perspective. Hell of a lot of car for the money. Just make sure you put some dosh aside for maintenance.
3. Why wait - you'll waste so much time looking at the classifieds over the next 12 months that you could be out there driving and enjoying the thrill of 911 heaven!!

Go for it!

Cheers

Slodge
This is what I wanted to hear idealy, so I will now start looking. Will use the forum for some pointers but any further comments welcome.

Thanks

ScienceTeacher

408 posts

215 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
I've got a 996 C2 Cab. It's my second 996 and it is an original 3.4 with amber lights. It looks great and drives beautifully. I am very well aware of the potential catastrophic problems M96 and M97 engines can have and my car is on the Hartech scheme.
I've always wanted all sorts of other cars ie 996 Turbo or GT3 but they are more money and hard to justify when I might soon be having a family! I always look at 993s but GENUINELY don't really want one. I'm just a bit sad that my car is so undervalued and I am bored of beards banging on about aircooled and how they drive better and hold their value - which seems irritatingly to be true-ish in terms of value.
I try to cost my car all-in including servicing, depreciation, financing and expected failures. My car has been very good value so far (2 years). For information my first 996 was a bit more costly. I worked out that I could have leased a new basic Cayman for the amount it cost me over 3 years. It wouldn't have been mine though and it wouldn't have been a 911 - just to be a beard about it myself!
£13-15K will buy you a decentish 996 including the price of putting it on the Hartech scheme (circa 2K). You'll sell it next year for £10-12K and have had a year of decent motoring. Alternatively, buy a GT3 for £35K, spending an extra £2K on financing and hope it doesn't go wrong. Lots of people will tell you they're depreciation proof but there are a lot in the classifieds that aren't moving.
My next move might be into a well maintained higher mileage Turbo for £20K after negotiating.

bigunit00

890 posts

177 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
Something like this would do the trick

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/646/9963.6...

pilchardthecat

7,483 posts

209 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
Mabbx said:
laugh
Dont laugh, its not fking funny!!!!!1111oneone

r4_rick

477 posts

245 months

Tuesday 19th February 2013
quotequote all
Mabbx said:
pilchardthecat said:
Ah the endless and very familiar story of "i can afford a Porsche but i can nearly afford the next best one so should i wait"

I started playing this game 4 years ago. My budget has nearly trebled and i still cant fking decide. And now i have to have a yellow one as well, so i'm totally fked.

Good luck. I don't think i will ever buy one! Far too much choice!
laugh
Sorry but +1 !

Get the SY GT3 at dove house bought for £35k

scoobysnacks2

59 posts

206 months

Wednesday 20th February 2013
quotequote all
It true about the endless dilemma I'm afraid. From about £15k to £27k with roughly £2.5k gaps in between, it goes from 996 Carrera 3.4 to Carrera 3.6 to Carrera 4S to 997 Carrera 3.6 to Carrera S 3.8 to 996 Turbo... Add in the choice of specs and colours and you're stuffed with regards to making a decision. I am anyway...

Edited by scoobysnacks2 on Wednesday 20th February 08:05


Edited by scoobysnacks2 on Wednesday 20th February 08:10

sundayjumper

531 posts

312 months

Wednesday 20th February 2013
quotequote all
Buy something now so that you've got it to enjoy through the summer. £15k should be plenty to get you a solid example.

Mine (albeit not a convertible) was £13.5k about 16 months ago and has been brilliant. Driven most days. I keep looking at ads for Turbos and 997s but they're at least an extra £10k and there's nothing actually wrong with my plain old Carrera. I'm not bored of it yet. It'll be staying with me a while I think.


r4_rick

477 posts

245 months

Wednesday 20th February 2013
quotequote all
r4_rick said:
Mabbx said:
pilchardthecat said:
Ah the endless and very familiar story of "i can afford a Porsche but i can nearly afford the next best one so should i wait"

I started playing this game 4 years ago. My budget has nearly trebled and i still cant fking decide. And now i have to have a yellow one as well, so i'm totally fked.

Good luck. I don't think i will ever buy one! Far too much choice!
laugh
Sorry but +1 !

Get the SY GT3 at dove house bought for £35k
It's gone !