new shape boxster prices in a years time
Discussion
Morning all,
Having been 968cs'less for almost a month now i reckon i am over the worst of my pork withdraw symptoms and can hold out a year for some new metal. Im really taken with the new boxster so in order to get a feel for how large a piggy bank i need can anyone have an educated guess at 1 year old boxster s prices in a years time buying second hand obv one that is new now?
Want to get a feel for depreciation...
Ta phil
Having been 968cs'less for almost a month now i reckon i am over the worst of my pork withdraw symptoms and can hold out a year for some new metal. Im really taken with the new boxster so in order to get a feel for how large a piggy bank i need can anyone have an educated guess at 1 year old boxster s prices in a years time buying second hand obv one that is new now?
Want to get a feel for depreciation...
Ta phil
Pheedbak said:
Morning all,
Having been 968cs'less for almost a month now i reckon i am over the worst of my pork withdraw symptoms and can hold out a year for some new metal. Im really taken with the new boxster so in order to get a feel for how large a piggy bank i need can anyone have an educated guess at 1 year old boxster s prices in a years time buying second hand obv one that is new now?
Want to get a feel for depreciation...
Ta phil
I would say they will probably be changing hands for more or less list price in a year from now.Having been 968cs'less for almost a month now i reckon i am over the worst of my pork withdraw symptoms and can hold out a year for some new metal. Im really taken with the new boxster so in order to get a feel for how large a piggy bank i need can anyone have an educated guess at 1 year old boxster s prices in a years time buying second hand obv one that is new now?
Want to get a feel for depreciation...
Ta phil
If you really want one, you should get a new one in your own spec, run it for a year and lose/gain a grand or two.
I am not a PFA and you should seek independent financial advice before committing to any deal
My crystal ball is cloudy!
I really think it depends how well received the new car is. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm in the press and amongst the buying public for the 981 but will that translate into sales and, more crucially, will it translate in to sales that outstrip supply? Previous generations of Boxster have all been raved about in the press, but there is that stigma that is always going to play on the Boxster and the Cayman; which means that it seems very unlikely that short-term demand will exceed short-term supply which would be key to shoring up values over the next year or so.
Personally I think it'll follow a similar pattern. Money spent on options - as far as depreciation is concerned - will be not be money well spent. After the Gen II 987 came out in 2009, values of well-spec'd S models seem to fall pretty quickly from as-new prices of £50-55k to high 30s / low 40s within the year. There was some horror story of a chap on here who bought a nice S only to lose a stack of cash come trade in time within the year. I'm not sure about none S models, I've never really looked in to them. I assume a similar pattern.
Obviously the above hasn't mentioned the fairly dicey economic climate that we were - and still are - in.
I think the chances of your average man in the street doing an about turn on the perceived image of the Boxster is pretty much zero. I think it'll sell well, but well enough to escape depreciation for a year? I doubt it.
You'd better get saving.
I really think it depends how well received the new car is. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm in the press and amongst the buying public for the 981 but will that translate into sales and, more crucially, will it translate in to sales that outstrip supply? Previous generations of Boxster have all been raved about in the press, but there is that stigma that is always going to play on the Boxster and the Cayman; which means that it seems very unlikely that short-term demand will exceed short-term supply which would be key to shoring up values over the next year or so.
Personally I think it'll follow a similar pattern. Money spent on options - as far as depreciation is concerned - will be not be money well spent. After the Gen II 987 came out in 2009, values of well-spec'd S models seem to fall pretty quickly from as-new prices of £50-55k to high 30s / low 40s within the year. There was some horror story of a chap on here who bought a nice S only to lose a stack of cash come trade in time within the year. I'm not sure about none S models, I've never really looked in to them. I assume a similar pattern.
Obviously the above hasn't mentioned the fairly dicey economic climate that we were - and still are - in.
I think the chances of your average man in the street doing an about turn on the perceived image of the Boxster is pretty much zero. I think it'll sell well, but well enough to escape depreciation for a year? I doubt it.
You'd better get saving.
Agreed - it'll do reasonably well for a new car, but it's still gonna shed value, particularly the cost of options. Thus I'd say a reasonably well specified 981 will be available with 5-10k on the clock for about the same money as a brand new, but option-free, car (how much is a basic 'S' going to be over here btw?).
ETA: £45k it seems.
ETA: £45k it seems.
V8KSN said:
I would say they will probably be changing hands for more or less list price in a year from now.
If you really want one, you should get a new one in your own spec, run it for a year and lose/gain a grand or two.
I am not a PFA and you should seek independent financial advice before committing to any deal
I want some of what he's on^^^ If you really want one, you should get a new one in your own spec, run it for a year and lose/gain a grand or two.
I am not a PFA and you should seek independent financial advice before committing to any deal

cragswinter said:
V8KSN said:
I would say they will probably be changing hands for more or less list price in a year from now.
If you really want one, you should get a new one in your own spec, run it for a year and lose/gain a grand or two.
I am not a PFA and you should seek independent financial advice before committing to any deal
I want some of what he's on^^^ If you really want one, you should get a new one in your own spec, run it for a year and lose/gain a grand or two.
I am not a PFA and you should seek independent financial advice before committing to any deal

Thats why I put the caveat at the end of my post 
Edited by V8KSN on Wednesday 29th February 11:33
I just put a spec together and it was 53 and a bit grand - and I missed out several things I'd really quite like - bigger rims being one, metallic paint being the other. That also didn't include PSE. I'd say 55k will get a decent spec, and 60k will be fully loaded. 50k will be 'essentials only' spec IMHO.
OP: here is the full horror of the costs from my 2 years.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...
If you make it a £55k cash buy, getting out after month 13 might make sense on some levels.
If you finance it, I would forget about it and look at alternatives.
A 2009 GT3 might (will?) cost you less.
All good insight appreciate it. I agree that the supply levels will be good therefore I can't see it being a model that won't depreciate. The obvious cost of extras for me will be the area where I might hope to see some saving. I specced up "mine" to 53k ish. Which as has been pointed out, can get you in some serious metal that won't depreciate.
I think it might be time to book in a test drive just to wet the appetite you understand ...
I think it might be time to book in a test drive just to wet the appetite you understand ...
Carl_Docklands said:
OP: here is the full horror of the costs from my 2 years.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...
If you make it a £55k cash buy, getting out after month 13 might make sense on some levels.
If you finance it, I would forget about it and look at alternatives.
A 2009 GT3 might (will?) cost you less.
Fairly sobering, was it worth it?http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&a...
If you make it a £55k cash buy, getting out after month 13 might make sense on some levels.
If you finance it, I would forget about it and look at alternatives.
A 2009 GT3 might (will?) cost you less.
Mutt said:
Carl_Docklands said:
Decent spec would be around £50k? so plan for a £15k loss.
Do you not think £50k would be quite a light spec on an S? I think £55k is more realistic.SonnyM said:
£15-20k loss minimum depending on spec is about right. Mine lost 16.5k in 11 months based on £51k list price. To spec a 981S similar will cost £60k+ now. The bigger they are...
Tell me about it. I guess SFO also knows the pain... To spec a new 981 to RS 60 levels of equipment is a very expensive business.Do I really need GT silver and red leather?

Actus Reus said:
I just put a spec together and it was 53 and a bit grand - and I missed out several things I'd really quite like - bigger rims being one, metallic paint being the other. That also didn't include PSE. I'd say 55k will get a decent spec, and 60k will be fully loaded. 50k will be 'essentials only' spec IMHO.
Yep ours came out at £62k that was without pdk and pccb but pretty much everything else.Gassing Station | Porsche General | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff



