End days
Author
Discussion

DT1975

Original Poster:

1,479 posts

58 months

Monday 28th September
quotequote all
A subject close to our hearts I guess as pet owners.

Our Jack Russell is 14 . His mother (also ours) had a litter of six, she passed at 14. I've just been contacted by the owner of one her litter, likewise she passed recently..at 14. Our best friend owns another of the litter and she's knocking on heavens door big time, deaf blind the lot.

Well sadly our little terrier suffered two major fits a few weeks back when we were away. He kind of went downhill a few weeks earlier. He went to the emergency vet and was prescribed steroids and epilepsy tablets, his bloods came back normal.

They wanted to do an MRI on his skull as think its a brain tumour, more bloods and I guess we all know about the costs. It's like tugging on your heart strings whilst simultaneously draining your bank account. We refused.

He's basically lost the plot but can still manage a walk and bark at the postman. He can still hoik through the dog flap and still do his jobs in the garden. More tellingly his tail is constantly down, he just looks beaten but we've no idea how much is down to the drugs needless to say the lights are on and he's not really there. We've reduced the meds to the minimum but no real change.

We're tempted to just use up the meds in the next few days and let nature takes its course rather than keeping him going in some kind of spaced out state.

Any thoughts? I think my wife is in agreement but you know how it is, mixed emotions.

mikiec

367 posts

116 months

Monday 28th September
quotequote all
Sounds like he should be put downfrown
It's never easy when it gets to this point, but if the drugs are just turning him into a zombie and you have a risk of fits if he comes off, it's time.

Definitely recommend doing it a home and its always better slightly too early than too late. I'd look at booking in a time in a week or so and giving him his 'best week'. it's what we did with our cat and don't regret it.

soad

34,666 posts

206 months

Monday 28th September
quotequote all
Sad to hear this. frown

Only you know what’s best really.

Courser

156 posts

3 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
It’s our responsibility to take responsibility for their wellbeing.

If the time has come, you know what needs to be done. Listening to vets is probably the worst thing to do at this point in the dogs life unfortunately. They can’t be trusted to think of the dog above profits. That’s down to you.

zarjaz1991

6,841 posts

153 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
I'm so sorry. It sounds like you know, really.
This is the hardest thing but we have to take the decision that's best for the dog. It sounds pretty clear what that is. It is a solemn duty.

DT1975

Original Poster:

1,479 posts

58 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
Thanks all, its good to share. Deep down I know the score with the old fella. I think we'll let the remaining meds run their course over the next few days and wean him off gently so as to not shock the system.

moorx

4,662 posts

144 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
I would agree with others. It is horrible to make that decision but we do owe it to them to prevent them from suffering.

Better a week too early than a day too late.

My thoughts are with you x

This sums it up (but is heart-breaking)



Edited by moorx on Tuesday 29th September 19:34

ClaphamGT3

12,241 posts

273 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
The question to ask yourself when thinking of extending treatment is “who am I doing this for, him or us?”

Sadly, I think you’ve answered your own question; it’s near time for him to go.

Strength mon brave

LRDefender

805 posts

38 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
DT1975, I feel for you but I think the previous comments tell you everything.

It utterly destroyed me having to make that decision for my last dog but deep down I couldn't let him suffer.

I'm sure you have given him a wonderful life and that is what you need to focus on. Good luck.

loskie

7,107 posts

150 months

Tuesday 29th September
quotequote all
I had my dog PTS in June. 9th June. She would have been 17 last week. She was 8 weeks when I got her.

It's tough but the right thing to do.

Skye went to the vet's in the boot of the car, she loved travelling in the car. The vet told me to reverse to the back and he took care of the old girl in the boot.
No stress, no drama, a kind way to go.
I was in bits. Took her home and buried her in the garden.
She went downhill quickly. Head trembling and losing balance, a few days of being sick.

I knew it was time and you do/will know too.

She even came over and nudged me with her nose a few mins before I took her to the vets.
It broke my heart.
It still does.


Good luck.

Smint

3,629 posts

65 months

Wednesday 30th September
quotequote all
We had a hellish time losing 3 in the space of 8 months.

If only there was a pint of hindsight handy when you need one, in all 3 cases looking back we wished we'd have taken the decision none of us wants to make a few days or in one case a couple of weeks earlier.
You can only make that choice with what you see in front of you.

CTO

3,008 posts

240 months

Yesterday (20:21)
quotequote all
moorx said:
I would agree with others. It is horrible to make that decision but we do owe it to them to prevent them from suffering.

Better a week too early than a day too late.

My thoughts are with you x

This sums it up (but is heart-breaking)



Edited by moorx on Tuesday 29th September 19:34
This always makes me well up, and I don’t really well
up about anything at all.

OP. Hope you’re ok.