Travel insurance claim - advice please!
Discussion
Hi all,
We had the unfortunate situation last summer when my youngest (who was 6 months old at the time) developed chicken pox while we were in Spain on holiday. He got this just into the second week, so we were unable to fly back when we were supposed to as he was still infectious. So we had to extend the stay by a few days and flew back the following Tuesday which was the earliest we could as the flights were in the morning and we needed a doctors "fit to fly" certificate.
I rang the insurance company while abroad and they passed me through to the medical team. I had a very nice conversation with them and was advised that as we had my 2 year old with us as well, that if I arranged all the travel then they would cover the costs for all 4 of us staying - this was needed as the 6 month old had it really bad and my wife was at the end of her tether, and they felt as he was so young we should all stay together.
Fast forward a few months and the insurance company took an age to respond (only finally making a decision when I mentioned I'd had a conversation with the Financial Ombudsman about expected time to respond). So 6 months after I submitted the claim I got a letter yesterday with a cheque, which only paid out half the amount for one adult and my son. Now, this is the letter of the terms of the cover, but wasn't what was said at the time by the insurance company.
Where do I stand? Should I just accept it? Should I fight it? Regardless, should I cash the cheque?
Any advice appreciated!
We had the unfortunate situation last summer when my youngest (who was 6 months old at the time) developed chicken pox while we were in Spain on holiday. He got this just into the second week, so we were unable to fly back when we were supposed to as he was still infectious. So we had to extend the stay by a few days and flew back the following Tuesday which was the earliest we could as the flights were in the morning and we needed a doctors "fit to fly" certificate.
I rang the insurance company while abroad and they passed me through to the medical team. I had a very nice conversation with them and was advised that as we had my 2 year old with us as well, that if I arranged all the travel then they would cover the costs for all 4 of us staying - this was needed as the 6 month old had it really bad and my wife was at the end of her tether, and they felt as he was so young we should all stay together.
Fast forward a few months and the insurance company took an age to respond (only finally making a decision when I mentioned I'd had a conversation with the Financial Ombudsman about expected time to respond). So 6 months after I submitted the claim I got a letter yesterday with a cheque, which only paid out half the amount for one adult and my son. Now, this is the letter of the terms of the cover, but wasn't what was said at the time by the insurance company.
Where do I stand? Should I just accept it? Should I fight it? Regardless, should I cash the cheque?
Any advice appreciated!
Gassing Station | Finance | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff


