Buying property
Author
Discussion

citychap26

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

260 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
Hi Guys,

No flames please ...

Have decided to take the plunge, put in an offer on a gaff 3 weeks ago (The posh part of Croydon if there is such a thing!!!), offered 40k under the asking price, had a load of bks from the agent saying the vendor has turned this price down several times. YEAH YEAH! Had the offer accepted within 3 hours! Now had the survey completed. Sadly they have found damp and a few other issues. I've asked for a further 15k off due to market conditions etc. Agent said there's someone else that's been calling every other day wanting the property. I've not heard back from them since Friday. Called the agent this morning, she said that she could not get a return from the vendor.

What do you think ?

To me it sounds like she's bullsh*tting. Oh forgot to mention that the gaff needs about 15-20k of work on it.

Cheers

Sunil

madala

5,063 posts

228 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
...I am sorry but what the hell has this to do with Porsches?.....

forza whites

2,555 posts

225 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
Put a huge poster of a 917 over the damp ?

woogie

3,313 posts

282 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
madala said:
...I am sorry but what the hell has this to do with Porsches?.....
This is a garage he is buying to put his Porsche in biggrin

sleep envy

62,260 posts

279 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
citychap26 said:
What do you think ?
it's a buyers market - ask for another £30k off next month before you complete

(yes, I know it's a ish thing to do but people will try it on)

woogie

3,313 posts

282 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
How much was place? I offered 27 pct less then asking price and got it 3 months ago.

So if its 400,000 offer 300,000 .

Edited by woogie on Monday 6th October 16:02

citychap26

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

260 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
Andy! I did put an O/T meaning "off topic" on the heading.

Yeah going to store the Turbo in the garage, then decide where I keep the 993 or 964 as a play thing.

Cheers for the info Woogie.


jackal

11,251 posts

312 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
croydon ?


i'd offer another 30k less


and then spend what you save on a couple of bullet proof vests and a job lot of mace

christer

2,804 posts

281 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
I wouldn't be buying ANYTHING propertywise for the next 12 -18 months...at pretty much ANY price....I hope it goes well though.......

MrV

2,748 posts

258 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
If it needs 20k spending on it you should have been offering 60k under the asking price

House prices are still heading south and will be for a while yet so even if you think you are getting it for 40k under market value think again in a years time you will be looking at if you are lucky market value

If you don't have to buy at the moment then stay put for at least another 9 months


Not aimed at the OP but I can see another lot of burnt fingers in 6 months time from part time investors/developers thinking they are grabbing bargains at the moment

Meeja

8,290 posts

278 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
Oh, the old "There is now another buyer interested" line.

I fell for that a few years back when we looked into moving. We were interested in a particular property for renovation, and agreed a decent price.

Just before we started formalities, we went to look at another property that the same agent had for sale - out of interest. We decided that property 2 was just out of our reach, so we wanted to start formalities on property 1.

All of a sudden, there was a "new buyer", and we entered a bidding war, which we won, but agreed to pay £15,500 more than our original "accepted" offer.

The whole thing fell through many months later anyway and we decided to stay where we were and extend - but I subsequently found via a friend who (unknown to me at the time) knew the house's vendor - and there was never a second interested party.

Regarding your potential purchase - damp isn't that much of an issue if it is not too severe - and certainly shouldn't cost £15k to put right!

Fittster

20,120 posts

243 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
Fair enough to go in with a low offer, but wanting 15K off because of damp is somewhat taking the piss. If you're gazundering at least have the decentcy to admit it.

jackal

11,251 posts

312 months

Monday 6th October 2008
quotequote all
MrV said:



Not aimed at the OP but I can see another lot of burnt fingers in 6 months time from part time investors/developers thinking they are grabbing bargains at the moment
yes