Was considering a TVR...... is now a bad time to buy?
Discussion
Ive recently sold my last car through PistonHeads, so my mind has turned to a replacement. There was a point were I was seriously considering a TVR Sagaris as a replacement, mainly because the 3 year warranty made the option that bit more attractive given the uncertainty and gamble-factor with the SP6 engine.
I was wondering whether my views represent the market as a whole for current 'potential' buyers, and whether this is just going to compound any current problems for TVR.
The 3 year warranty is/could be worthless if NS decides to ditch TVR in one form or an other. At the end of day, with his family money, TVR is of little consequence to them be it a going concern or not. Even if the warranty is still 'valid', they can still screw everyone over by not putting in resources to provide fixes, and therefore months and months of delay and cars being out of action sitting around, but still 'covered'.
So what to do?
1)A massive price reduction would obvious compensate to a certain degree against any current uncertainty. Second-hand prices for 2005 Sagaris are still 40-45K+ asking. How much room for negotiation I wonder?
2)Wait for the next press release and wait for TVR action?
3)Forget a Sagaris entirely, considering the high price/uncertainty of SP6/uncertainly of company?
4)Shut up, and stop starting threads like this?
I dont mean to offend anyone, or hurt anyones feelings, I just wanted an upfront disucssion about how any other current 'potential' buyers may feel?
Cheers
I was wondering whether my views represent the market as a whole for current 'potential' buyers, and whether this is just going to compound any current problems for TVR.
The 3 year warranty is/could be worthless if NS decides to ditch TVR in one form or an other. At the end of day, with his family money, TVR is of little consequence to them be it a going concern or not. Even if the warranty is still 'valid', they can still screw everyone over by not putting in resources to provide fixes, and therefore months and months of delay and cars being out of action sitting around, but still 'covered'.
So what to do?
1)A massive price reduction would obvious compensate to a certain degree against any current uncertainty. Second-hand prices for 2005 Sagaris are still 40-45K+ asking. How much room for negotiation I wonder?
2)Wait for the next press release and wait for TVR action?
3)Forget a Sagaris entirely, considering the high price/uncertainty of SP6/uncertainly of company?
4)Shut up, and stop starting threads like this?
I dont mean to offend anyone, or hurt anyones feelings, I just wanted an upfront disucssion about how any other current 'potential' buyers may feel?
Cheers
It is my opinion that TVR have been through this sort of thing in the past. The media have not represented the situation fairly and most people have over reacted. TVR will continue regardless.
Sales are slow so a good deal should be out there, dealers will be falling over themselves to sell, especially if you buy one from their stock. If you want one buy one. I think the Sagaris is a great car, it seems quite well put together and the engine seems to be holding up so far. Ultimately you make your choice and pay your money.....
I'd still do it, it may be the last chance you get.
Sales are slow so a good deal should be out there, dealers will be falling over themselves to sell, especially if you buy one from their stock. If you want one buy one. I think the Sagaris is a great car, it seems quite well put together and the engine seems to be holding up so far. Ultimately you make your choice and pay your money.....
I'd still do it, it may be the last chance you get.

ade355 said:
Ive recently sold my last car through PistonHeads, so my mind has turned to a replacement. There was a point were I was seriously considering a TVR Sagaris as a replacement, mainly because the 3 year warranty made the option that bit more attractive given the uncertainty and gamble-factor with the SP6 engine.
I was wondering whether my views represent the market as a whole for current 'potential' buyers, and whether this is just going to compound any current problems for TVR.
The 3 year warranty is/could be worthless if NS decides to ditch TVR in one form or an other. At the end of day, with his family money, TVR is of little consequence to them be it a going concern or not. Even if the warranty is still 'valid', they can still screw everyone over by not putting in resources to provide fixes, and therefore months and months of delay and cars being out of action sitting around, but still 'covered'.
So what to do?
1)A massive price reduction would obvious compensate to a certain degree against any current uncertainty. Second-hand prices for 2005 Sagaris are still 40-45K+ asking. How much room for negotiation I wonder?
2)Wait for the next press release and wait for TVR action?
3)Forget a Sagaris entirely, considering the high price/uncertainty of SP6/uncertainly of company?
4)Shut up, and stop starting threads like this?![]()
I dont mean to offend anyone, or hurt anyones feelings, I just wanted an upfront disucssion about how any other current 'potential' buyers may feel?
Cheers
I would simply walk into the nearest TVR dealer and by one !!!!
Drive it and be happy

I would be looking at it from a different angle
. No other manufacturer is ever going to bring out something as mental and unapologetically un-PC as the Sagaris IMO - TBH given current thinking in legislation it's something of a miracle that one can stil buy cars like that. Note that the side-firing exhaust arrangement was already on the list to go in order to comply with EU noise regulations.
What I'm getting at is: you might miss out on the chance to buy into one of life's last great automotive adventures. Do it - I know I would if I was in the position. As they say, life's too short.
>> Edited by 900T-R on Wednesday 26th April 15:48
. No other manufacturer is ever going to bring out something as mental and unapologetically un-PC as the Sagaris IMO - TBH given current thinking in legislation it's something of a miracle that one can stil buy cars like that. Note that the side-firing exhaust arrangement was already on the list to go in order to comply with EU noise regulations. What I'm getting at is: you might miss out on the chance to buy into one of life's last great automotive adventures. Do it - I know I would if I was in the position. As they say, life's too short.
>> Edited by 900T-R on Wednesday 26th April 15:48
ade355 said:
4)Shut up, and stop starting threads like this?![]()
Enough negative stuff already!, try one and if you like it buy one. I'm sure you could use some of the general "crap" posted on here to negotiate a discount. Rightly or wrongly.............
one in classifieds at the moment which on the surface looks good value?
richb said:
Go ahead and buy one - life's not a rehersal mate...
Now that's a key point!
TVR HAVE NOT GONE BUST! Thay have a plan and are doing it. They are *planning* on being around. Sure it could all go wrong. But lots of things could..and....life is not a rehearsal.
If you've got the cash...
Hi Mate,
even though some of the doom-mongering on here has annoyed me somewhat but i can understand your concerns.
But i agree with some of the other posters on this thread that you wont find another car like the Sag and sometimes we do worry about if's and buts too much.
Personally if it was my money i would go to a TVR dealer where i respect their opinions etc and raise every concern with them.
If you feel the answers you get from the dealer are ok and put your mind at rest then take the plunge.
Personally if i had the money i WOULD buy a new TVR today. I'm positive there will be some changes at TVR but i have no concerns that the company is going to dissappear!!
hope that helps.
Nick
even though some of the doom-mongering on here has annoyed me somewhat but i can understand your concerns.
But i agree with some of the other posters on this thread that you wont find another car like the Sag and sometimes we do worry about if's and buts too much.
Personally if it was my money i would go to a TVR dealer where i respect their opinions etc and raise every concern with them.
If you feel the answers you get from the dealer are ok and put your mind at rest then take the plunge.
Personally if i had the money i WOULD buy a new TVR today. I'm positive there will be some changes at TVR but i have no concerns that the company is going to dissappear!!
hope that helps.
Nick
ade355 said:
2)Wait for the next press release and wait for TVR action?
,well sort of.I'd wait to see what happens at the Motorshow in July.They may well be offering something very different by then,if they stay true to their word.And if you can afford a used Sag,then there could be quite a bit in your price range possibly.If you still prefer the Sagaris at that time then you might also find that used ones come down in price a little,or even a lot.Its not that long to wait,and might have even taken that long to find the right car anyway.Nuggs said:Yeh,i guessed someone would say that!But wouldn't it be great if all us 'potential' new owners wanted to slap down a deposit at the motorshow,and give TVR our support
mongoose said:
I'd wait to see what happens at the Motorshow in July.
It's not a bad idea but you'd miss out on two months' of spring/summer Tivving - I just don't think it's worth it! Do it and do it now; it would take a lot to beat the Sag!
>> Edited by mongoose on Wednesday 26th April 18:16
A couple of points to add to the above.
The Sagaris is a classic and will have to be dumbed down for Europe and elsewhere so its an ideal opportunity to buy something that in the long term might even appreciate in value if TVR go belly up.
In that sad eventuality there are at least three independents who can keep the beasty in fine fettle should you have any problems,more if you include all the body shops,upholsterers that understand TVR's should you ever need them.
So your options are buy a supercar under a 3 yesr warranty in the best case-own a never to be repeated classic with extensive support if it all goes horribly wrong.
There are tougher options in life.
P.S.- One of my colleages runs an old Aston Martin which he bought cheap some 6 years ago.Since then he has had it all sorted at a reasonable cost( Biggest bill was for the engine -ironic isn't it) and he has made money on the deal in the process.
Go and scare some Boxsters
>> srebbe64 beat me to it DOH!
>> Edited by sideways mostly on Wednesday 26th April 18:21
The Sagaris is a classic and will have to be dumbed down for Europe and elsewhere so its an ideal opportunity to buy something that in the long term might even appreciate in value if TVR go belly up.
In that sad eventuality there are at least three independents who can keep the beasty in fine fettle should you have any problems,more if you include all the body shops,upholsterers that understand TVR's should you ever need them.
So your options are buy a supercar under a 3 yesr warranty in the best case-own a never to be repeated classic with extensive support if it all goes horribly wrong.
There are tougher options in life.
P.S.- One of my colleages runs an old Aston Martin which he bought cheap some 6 years ago.Since then he has had it all sorted at a reasonable cost( Biggest bill was for the engine -ironic isn't it) and he has made money on the deal in the process.
Go and scare some Boxsters
>> srebbe64 beat me to it DOH!
>> Edited by sideways mostly on Wednesday 26th April 18:21
Gassing Station | General TVR Stuff & Gossip | Top of Page | What's New | My Stuff




JFDI 

